11/10/2011

I Remember

 For the past few years I have been worried that the younger kids of today were not interested in what went on during the 20th century. But with the events in the world since 2000 I believe the latest generation has taken up the cry. It has been very nice to see some of the news reports showing children making statements about Remembrance Day. Formerly Armistice Day in Canada.

Tomorrow sometime after 9 AM Pacific Standard time  (about noon in my Hometown)I will begin my 68th year on earth. Being a holiday I was able to attend most of the services in the past. One I missed was memorable. I was in the RCAF and had severe ingrown toe nails and the day before I was to go on Parade the M/O removed the nails from both my big toes. I attended in full dress blues in a wheelchair and thought "well at least I don't have to march." But it was my birthday and what the hell, eh. It has sometimes been a stretch but I have survived. Many of my family fought in both of the Great wars and my Maternal Grandfather enlisted in the PPCLI in both the first and second worl wars. He survived. And some of my friends fought and died in Vietnam. I remember them all.My time was served during peaceful years in Canada.(except for the Soviet Union Problems)
The only poem I ever learned is reprinted below.

For those who have not read In Flanders Fields by Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae I post it here.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
Flanders Poppy on the First World War battlefields.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Our young Canadian boys were blown to bits during WW11. There were six members of my family in that war. They fought for the citizens living under oppression, fascism and dictatorship. We didn't want that evil to ever happen in Canada. And, what do we have? We have Harper and the likes of Campbell. Quite frankly, they weren't worth dying for.